Existence since long
The cultural history of India is conserved for a thousand years. The history and culture of India are depicted through phenomenal artworks and architecture of the past. The history of diverse traditions of religions in India – Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism, Christianity, and many more have influenced the heritage and lifestyle of the country. The philosophies of Jainism and Buddhism have also made to develop the literature and artworks.
Historical shreds of evidence of Traditions
The Prehistoric genetic research on the people of the Indian Subcontinent signifies the vast diversity in the region ever. The Indian rock arts specify the existence of humans on this land for at least 30,000 years.
- Urban Culture was shown through Indus Valley Civilization between 2500-1900 BC in the Bronze Age.
- Iron Age and the migration of Indo-Aryans between 2000-500 BC introduced the caste system in the Early Vedic Period.
- From 500 BC till the 3rd CE, the land was directed by various Chiefs.
- In the 3rd CE, the Magadha Kingdom conquered most of the states.
- The Medieval Period has seen five kingdoms with diverse cultures. This period paved the path for modern languages, architecture, religion, sculpture, literature, medicine, science, and mathematics, which overall contributed to India’s vast and diversified culture in the historical era.
Effect of Various Empires
The Early Medieval Period started from 3rd CE to 1200 CE with the rise of the Delhi Sultanate in North India and ended with the Chola Dynasty. It created an Indo-Islamic culture in the northern states. Whereas the Vijayanagara Empire was built in the south. Both maintained the existing culture of India.
The Delhi Sultanate was governed by several dynasties and covered a vast portion of North India from the 13th century to the 16th century in the Later Medieval Period. As a result, Indian literature, music, religion, clothing saw a fusion of different cultures.
Later, the Mughal Empire took over North India in the 16th century in the Early Modern Period. The Marathas and Sikhs ruled the immense regions of India in the ending days of the Mughal Empire. They both developed a different culture in the region, which the British Raj later took over.
East India Company annexed most of India till 1820 to supply England with raw materials. The company was changed into an administrative organization by the British Government. It changed the education system, introduced social reforms, constructed railways and telegraphs.
Preservation of History and Culture
India saw various cultural reforms by different rulers and maintained many cultural practices. As a result, Indian culture is a legacy of social norms, customs, ethics and values, traditions, political and belief systems since its prehistoric reign. India is famous for its:
- Different festivals
- Greetings and Friendly nature
- Wildlife and Cuisine
- Language and Literature
- Music and Arts
- Architecture and Paintings and so much more.
India is a country that absorbed all the diversities of culture and history. It maintained the ethics of every religion, caste, civilization, customs, and traditions. The essence of Indian Society is the Family Structure and Philosophy. Despite so much variety in the values and philosophies, it is prominent for its Unity in Diversity.